In the American Trucker Money Roll this week, we’ll start with the big picture and work our way to some freight numbers:
- U.S. GDP came in with very low growth for the first quarter;
- consumer confidence crashed in April after being up in March;
- Wall Street thinks truckload capacity is loosening up and the spot market slip supports the thesis;
- indeed, the latest spot market report from DAT shows fewer loads and more trucks;
- rail intermodal traffic was up nicely last week, though carloads continue to lag; and yet
- the economy’s good enough that a Freightliner plant is hiring another 600 workers.